So, let me give some background – for years I tried to like curry when I went out and could never get past something that I didn’t like. I didn’t know what it was I just knew curries out (and some in) were just plain disgusting. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the spiciness of my food, I’ve always loved rice but something in the food just put me off. Then, I met a friend, from Asian decent who told me, “maybe its the coriander”.
I had no idea what he was talking about! I mean, yes I knew coriander was a herb, I knew it got used in Indian food (also in Mexican and Thai) but could this be the reason why I hadn’t liked curry for so long? So, me, him (and others) went for a curry and when I ordered mine, I specifically asked for mine with no coriander. (Fellow coriander haters, you know the look the waiter gives you when you say this? He gave it to me good.) Anyway, food ordered and I waited with anticipation, would this be yet another curry I wouldn’t enjoy or would it be a taste sensation? The result, it was a revelation! The curry was absolutely divine!
So, I had finally discovered why I didn’t like curries and Mexican food. Now, I just had to remember every time I went out to say, “no coriander”. (One time after, I specifically ordered a curry with no coriander but forgot to do the same with the rice and it was laced in the stuff – lesson learnt. Just because you say no coriander on the main, doesn’t automatically mean they won’t put on your sundries.) The same applies when I/we go food shopping, every time there is something new I/we scour the list of ingredients two or three times just to make sure the deadly ingredient isn’t there!
It seems, I am not alone a quick google and I found this website which certainly made me smile! But for those who don’t understand, here is a list of points to note:
- Coriander just tastes like rusty nails or a bitter, soapy mess and if I wanted to eat my dinner on the floor of a DIY store, then I would!
- Coriander is just plain disgusting. Whether there’s a little or a lot, as soon as I taste it, my food is ruined!
- Chefs, please note – I do not require half soggy pieces of coriander, “garnish”!
- Fellow haters, as I said above you must have received the look of horror on your waiter’s/waitresses face when you tell him/her that you do not want coriander!
- You might be lucky, see it on the menu, so you ask them to leave it out, and when you receive your meal, it’s covered in the stuff! Perhaps I should have lied and said I was allergic!
- We all have that one friend that says, “just try it, you might like it”. Do they not understand my pain!?
- On a number of occasions, I’ve thought, oh its ok, it’s just flat leaf parsley. I take one bite and discover it’s actually coriander. I want a refund!
- Mexican food, one of my favourites but the food is laced in coriander! Either in the guacamole or the salsa … or both! No, no, no! Wrong!
I think I’ve made my point, coriander is evil!
Follow me on Twitter.